Monday, May 3, 2010

Final Design: Reflection

Looking back on this project over the past couple of weeks, I can see how big an impact many of the products could make on the world. Every situation gives rise to a number of design opportunities that I believe could lead to a solid design piece.

Before this project I had no knowledge whatsoever of maritime disasters, or any type of maritime products for that matter. This meant that every step of this assignment I was learning something new and fun, but it also meant that it was a challenge every day. Designing products for land isn't easy, but there are things that are concrete and well known, such as how to stabilise products so they stand straight. Change to designing products for water use and suddenly something as simple as this is completely different. Also, keeping a product afloat is a science - boats can stay afloat regardless of their gigantic weight because of water disposition, but without testing the product in a real life situation, it is hard to assume that it will work perfectly. These are, I think, the two issues that are not completely resolved with my design and the areas I would look into if I were to take the design further.

Overall I enjoyed the challenge set by this assignment, not only for the difference in environment, but designing for a specific demographic - the developing world. Not only was designing for water difficult, but also ensuring this design would fit in with a different lifestyle than I'm used to designing for.

No comments: